Lunch at Mamak

November 18, 2013

Mamak is by far the best place to have authentic roti canai. This small restaurant which dishes up Malaysian cuisine is still as busy as ever judging by the queues at lunch and dinner time. I took my mum and sister here for lunch on a Saturday and we had to wait about 15 minutes before we got a table. 

Roti Canai ($5.50)
If you have to try anything at Mamak it is definitely the roti canai. It is just like their description says; crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The two accompanying curry sauces are great with one a tad spicier than the other and if you like them even spicier, dip the roti in the sambal sauce. I always opt for the original roti because it is definitely more thin and flaky than the other variants which I've found a bit doughy. Having had roti canai in Malaysia I can safely say it is definitely comparable albeit more expensive.


Nasi Lemak ($9.50)
This is one of my favourite Malaysian dishes. The simplicity of it is evident and it is about the harmony of these ingredients which make this so good. I do admit that the sambal sauce may be hit or miss for people but I myself love it. The dish consists of coconut rice, roasted peanuts, crispy fried anchovies, cucumber and sambal sauce. The only con is that it is very overpriced for what it is.

Ais Kacang ($6)
This is a lovely shaved ice dessert of red beans, corn, grass jelly, rose syrup and sweetened milk which would be perfect to indulge in on a hot day. I found the dessert a tad too sweet but the corn did balance it out a little and also added texture to the dessert.

Mamak is a great place to try Malaysian foods and has made the cuisine quite popular considering there have been quite a few Malaysian restaurants which have emerged since Mamak's opening.

Mamak on Urbanspoon

You Might Also Like

0 comments